Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hunt

So I have been a little late on this update, but things have been a bit crazy lately-having a new born and all. So here is our story...

On Monday, June 1st, Jeremy and I went for our last prenatal appointment with our doctor. The baby was still in breech position and my belly had still not grown (hadn't grown in at least 4 weeks); which meant that we were still on for a scheduled c-section. Our doctor wanted to schedule the birth for June 4th (38w6d) because he was off on June 5th, but hospital policy prevented him from doing the c-section before 39 weeks. Because I have a LONG history with my doctor he decided that he would come in on his day off and deliver our baby boy. On June 5th, Jeremy and I woke up at 3am (because of our drive) to get to the hospital. We met my mom and grandmother in the waiting room and off we went to Labor and Delivery.


I got prepped (my nurse was Chatty Cathy), which included the epidural, and was wheeled back to get a tiny boy from my belly. On my way back to the OR, I was still able to move my left toes and feel my left leg. I was telling EVERYONE because I was so nervous that I was going to feel too much during the procedure. I will say that I was a bit sick throughout the c-section (and I had the shakes), which was incredibly weird because my epidural was so high and breathing and "getting sick" was an intense process. Jeremy got to see our little boy at 7:54am. He weighed in at 6lbs 2oz. I was able to "hold" him soon after. My arms were so heavy and shaky that I was extremely nervous to hold him, even in the recovery room. (I am probably the only one to appreciate the picture below. The doctor on the right is my doctor and the doctor on the left is his partner. Both these doctors were there when I was born - my mom also had a c-section. It was a neat occasion to come to a full circle. )

We soon headed to the room where we meet our visitors (my mom, my step-dad, my Aunt Nellie and Uncle Tommy, my friend Carrie, my grandmother, Jeremy's aunt Glenda, and Jeremy's cousin Darlene). Hunt was there to meet his family too. We had a good hospital stay overall until. Hunt had a bit of a problem maintaining his body temp and needed some extra warming. He also decided to turn a bit yellow towards the end of our stay; which meant that added an extra day to our stay. Jeremy had just made two trips to the car and was headed back up to go through the discharge process when the pediatrician told us that our boy needed some 'tanning bed time' (light therapy to help with jaundice). He was on a strict 3 hour feeding schedule so every two hours we were up pumping and headed to the nursery for a feeding. It was nice to give him a break from being under the lights.


We headed home on Tuesday and are doing well so far. We saw our pediatrician on Wednesday and he put us on a fabulous feeding schedule. The first night we attempted the schedule we only woke up once for a feeding. HOORAY! I am glad we are home and Jeremy and I are so glad to be parents to a beautiful boy.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

What is this magic feeding schedule?? :)

Elli Grier Ruff said...

That is a beautiful post. Just beautiful.

I had that same problem with Alyssa & my epi: I could feel my left cheek! I didn't know how to tell them so I kinda yelled out, "I can feel my butt!" when I was on the table and Dr. Sullivan said "it's okay, I'm looking at your baby already." :)

Give Hunt more kisses from me. He is BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait til he's like 5 and I can tell him what a "pretty baby" he was...he's gonna hate that! :)

Ashley and Nolan said...

Woke up ONCE to eat???? Are you serious?! That's amazing. Congrats on the precious baby boy. Can't wait to meet him! :)